The S.R. Butler High School on Clinton Street was formerly the West Huntsville High School. The building was completed as leased by the Public Works Administration to the Madison County Board of Education in August of 1944. In April of 1948 the Madison County Board of Education bought the property from the Federal Housing Authority for $34,000 which was 12.5% of its original cost.
Before the 1951-1952 school year, annual reports indicate there were five accredited high schools in the suburban area that were under Madison County BOE jurisdiction. These were Joe Bradley, West Huntsville, Rison, Madison and Lincoln. On July 1, 1951, all the suburban schools were consolidated as West Huntsville High School under the principalship of Dr. J. Homer Crim, who had been principal of the West Huntsville School since 1933.
Also on July 1, 1951 the newly consolidated school became S.R. Butler High School, named after longtime educator Samuel R. Butler, who served Madison County as Superintendent of Education from 1895 until his death in 1931. Though his contributions are many, Mr. Butler's pioneering efforts in school consolidation served as a model for school systems throughout the United States. Consolidation and his concept of free school transportation have had a lasting effect on education.
Due to the impact of reactivating Redstone Arsenal and the subsequent population explosion, in 1956 the Huntsville city limits were extended taking in the former suburban areas. On June 21, 1956, S.R. Butler High School and other affected junior high and elementary schools were sold to the city and came under the jurisdiction of the Huntsville School Board.
After the new Butler High School on Holmes Avenue opened in 1967 the original school was renamed Roy L. Stone Middle School. Part of the original structure was destroyed by fire in 1984.